Monday, May 3, 2010

Easy Pleasin' Oat Bars


I've told a few people I would pass on this recipe, so I decided I would just post it here instead! These are healthy, but still taste good! Since I've been breastfeeding Nelson, I've had a crazy appetite and these have come in handy!

"Easy Pleasin' Oat Bars" From Vive Le Vegan by Dreena Burton

2 cups ground oats**
1 cup quick oats
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup fruit sweetener or other thick honey alternative (I used honey)
1/4 cup vanilla or plain non-dairy milk (any milk will do)
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp canola oil

**ground oats are just quick oats or regular oats, ground up in the food processor. You can substitute 1/2 cup or more of the ground oats with 1/2 cup or more of the hemp seed nuts.

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, stirring until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled 8 x 8 or 8 x 12 baking dish and press it down until evenly distributed. Using a sharp knife, cut to mark out the bars before you bake them to make it easier to fully cut and remove the bars once baked. Bake for 19 - 21 minutes, then remove and let cool in pan. Once cool, use a sharp knife to fully but the bars, then remove with a spatula.

I added chopped dried cherries, apricots and crystallized ginger, toasted almond slices, ground almonds, and sunflower seeds just to give it a little more of a kick and some more protein. The next time I make it I am also going to add pumpkin seeds and some chopped cashews! The last time I made it, I doubled the recipe and froze half.

3 comments:

TAITx3 said...

Sounds yummy!

Danielle Nelson said...

Hey thanks!!! Yeah, I gotta push this whole weight loss thing into over drive because Dean and Heather are getting married in September and I just discovered that the dress lady told me the wrong measurements for the dress, so I have to lose 3 1/2" instead of the 1 1/2" I thought. Holy moly. I am hoping that 10lbs will do it, but we'll just have to lose it and see when we get there.

Priests By Name said...

Now I know why the Michigan Maple Syrup and Honey came in so handy!!! Enjoy the results Nelson!