I'm trying!!!
I hit the full experience of my "nesting" phase AFTER I had my baby! I'm trying to achieve a little organization in my life...one room, one corner at a time! I finally bought these baskets to separate the piles on my diaper changing table.So this is my question to everyone....what have you done to organize your space/life? I want ideas....lots of them!
Organizing does not come naturally to me. When I hear about someone's shopping list organized by the layout of the grocery store or see a pantry lined with glass jars filled with flours, sugars and grains, I get inspired (after the jealousy wears off)!
If you have one idea or ten, I want to hear about them. If you don't usually leave a comment on this blog, this is your opportunity!
I hope to re-visit this post with changes I've adopted or improvements I've made. I've already started collecting my glass jars!
The comment section is open!

6 comments:
I try to keep some random set of my tools in the general garage area. That way I know that at most times I might find a tool near the workbench section (as long as it isn't covered by another tool).
Then if I use a tool in the house, I'll leave it there because I might have to use it again some day and also the garage is more than 12 paces away. So I have house tools and garage tools sorted by the last-time-that-I-used-them method. Plus the general stacking of my stuff is chronological. Items at the top of piles were used more recently.
-John
Well, I think you already know about my organizational skills,but I'll try to give you some tips, and they might help others that read this post.
For the pantry I do use glass jars for flour, sugar and such. I love putting the kids snacks, like goldfish crackers and little finger foods in glass jars. I save lots of glass jars that had food in them, I just cleaned them and peeled the sticker off them. That way you don't have to spend the money on buying jars. Most of them are tomato sauce and jam jars. Plus, it's a good way to reuse and recycle.
I'm also a huge fan of baskets in the pantry. For instance I have one basket that I keep all my tea's cocoa's and stuff like that in. Another for all pasta products and soups. Another for all my placemats and cloth napkins. Got the idea......
I also like to use old wine boxes for kitchen stuff.
I'll have to post pictures of my kitchen when I'm done with my projects. I told you about the burlap storage bags that I am making for potatoes and onions and stuff like that....
I too use the baskets for diapers and kid stuff. That always kept me organized in their room.
I like to keep wine crates under their bed for their shoes because I have absolutely no closet space for any of our their items.
I have very little storage here in my apartment so I have to use lots of bins for all types of things. I keep all our first aid, medications, pills and such in one bin, labeled. Then in another bin I would have all things associated with gift wrapping,(tape, tissue paper, gift bags and stuff like that). I just have stacks of bins in a closet but make sure they are labeled so it's an easy find.
Another thing that I just did for the boys playroom is that I bought a 9 cubby shelf unit and bought fabric bins to store toys in. I use 6 cubbies for the bins and keep 3 open for books and random items. In one bin I would keep all of the boys little cars, trucks and stupid army guys in one. Another I would have just Henry's transformers (he has a lot of them) another would be all things Star Wars, another has Jude's toys. An label on the outside what's in. So, I would have a sign "Transformers" on the one that hold them. It's a good way to start the kids learning about organizing. So when we clean up we line the bins up and put the items back where they belong. Not that that happens all the time. Maybe once a week I will go through the bins and reorganize and maybe get rid of an item here and there.
Let's see.... I'm trying to think of other things I do.....
I just basically try to have a spot of everything. I have to, living in a small space.
One thing that I do is try to get rid of something if I buy something new. I also learned how to get rid of items that I really don't need. Does anyone really need 8 wooden spoons? 5 sets of measuring cups?
Well. That's all I can think of now. I'm sure I have more to tell you about later. I think this is the longest comment i have ever written.
Oh yeah.... Just a piece of advise. If you are planning on buying baskets for kids toys and items that they kids will be getting, buy fabric bins instead. Baskets fall apart easy and they cost a fortune. I find that the fabric bins are perfect for the kids. The can jump on them and they just go right back to normal shape. I got mine at target.
wow Kara, lots of great advice!
Carol, organization is the bane of my existence. However, that is one of my goals this year. Today, my goal is to get all 7 loads of landry off various parts of my household floor before it becomes dirty again.
Hello dear this could be a post for Mrs. Tousley's class. "What I got from my mother".I am 61 years old,still A.D.D.,a hoarder,creative and there is no hope for me. So sorry that you have some of it. BUT, I have been to your lovely home many times and you do a great job of organizing as I see it,I am always inspired to come home and try your baskets and glass jars. It is just getting used to haveing one more body in the house with all the things that come with babyhood. GOOD LUCK and keep trying :)
Carol, you need to give yourself more credit -- you've always seemed organized to me! We just did a HUGE overhaul of our apt. and donated a truck load of stuff to the Salvi ... no more mini pool table or old Macs for us. For us the key is not having a lot of stuff, getting rid of the things you never use. Or storing them at Dad's :) Love you and all these pics, I can't wait to meet Nelbot!!
Post a Comment