Saturday, January 28, 2012

Freezer Paper Stencil Bags

We were at it again!  An afternoon craft seems to be the thing to do around here lately.  I got inspired from this blogger's post.  I've been wanting to do freezer paper stenciling since I saw this post.  I wasn't sure it would be possible for kids (in both tutorials an adult did all the painting).  But I thought Amya would like to try!
We started with:
1) these bags (I got mine from Walmart)
2) watered down acrylic paint (you could use fabric paint, but I didn't have any).  
3) freezer paper (must be freezer paper)
I had to help Amya cut her "stencil" (she wanted hearts).  After we cut the paper, we ironed it right onto her bag (but you could use a shirt, pants, an apron, whatev) shiny side down.

                                       Then she PAINTED!
                              While Amya's bag was hanging up to dry, Nelson got intrigued..........



.......so we set up Nelson with his own bag, stencil and paint.
              It wasn't long before Nelson caught a glimpse of Mater.  Then he wanted to paint Mater.
                                                                And paint he did!

             Back to Amya:  When her paint was "dry enough", we slowly peeled it off.  One side done!
                                                    These two painted. for. thirty. minutes
                                                           without. talking.   ahhhhhh!
                                                  Amya was pretty happy with her bag!
          I think it worked pretty good as a kid project!  She needed help, but she really had fun!



Nelson could care less about his bag  But he had fun giving Mater a bath in the sink!

1 comment:

TAITx3 said...

I love those bags! Cute idea. Did you get the link I sent about crafty ideas for kids?
I have a couple canvas bags from Walmart. Great future project. My kids are bag ladies so they would love it.
Ya know, you are really inspiring me to blog again and take pictures of all the fun things we do. I really want a new camera, I think that would really help with the picture taking.
Your blog is really turning into the kind of blog that I can't wait to see another new post.