Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Our Record Breaker!

When Nelson was born, he was attached to a ridiculously long umbilical cord! I did a little research about "typical" cords and cord lengths. This is what I found.....



V. Umbilical cord length and twisting
Analogous to how a kitchen phone cord becomes longer with increased use, umbilical cord length is dependent on fetal movements—the more movement, the longer the cord. The converse is also true—less intrauterine movement leads to shorter umbilical cords (as attested to by animal experiments where induced fetal muscle paralysis led to shortened umbilical cord length). Normally, the human umbilical cord reaches a length of 60-70 cm at term. Although the length of the umbilical cord has no intrinsic effect on fetal blood flow, a longer cord is more susceptible to knotting, entanglement around the fetus (especially the neck), and even prolapse out of the uterus during delivery any of which can lead to intrauterine fetal demise.

The Umbilical Cord
(from the Encyclopedia of Reproduction)
Harvey J. Kliman, M.D., Ph.D.
Yale University School of Medicine

Nelson's umbilical cord was 115 cm long!...and it was LOOSELY wrapped around his neck FOUR times! No worries on that, though. He never showed signs of distress during the delivery and, again, it was wrapped loosely. Our doctor said it was a record for her. Previously, she had only ever seen three wraps and that was always with a cesarean. This does justify all the activity this little guy displayed in utero!!

4 comments:

Susu said...

He must be a future gymnast with lots of practice from those flips in mommy's tummy! I really want to hear if there is a world record for longest cord length!

Sonya and Pete said...

WOW! I was so happy to hear from you and the whole experience! LOVE you!

TAITx3 said...

I still can't believe that story. Glad you told it over the world wide web.

Chris Ann said...

Your Dr. was the best,most awesome,layed back woman in the world and I give her full credit for Baby Nelson not being strangeled. I watched her hold his little head and tell you to stop the push while her carefully and gentely unwrapped his neck. You did such an awesome job delivering our little boy THANK YOU so much for this precious life. PS My umbilical cord was in a compleat knot and written up in the JAM as a live birth mirical April 21 1949 Dr. White Ford Hospital Det. MI